Sunday, March 31, 2013

We were victims of a scam, but it didn't work!

Peter and I were out walking in the city today and decided to walk down a leafy street.  I felt something wet on my back, but when I looked, I couldn't see anything.  But something was wet in my hair.  We crossed the street and a man and a woman called out to us.  She showed me the back of Peter's shirt which was covered in a muddy substance and running down the back of his pants. She got out a tissue and offered to wipe it for us.  Peter backed away as the woman went to wipe him.  I took the tissue, said 'thank you', and wouldn't let her wipe us.

Peter was a dirty mess, and when he looked at my back, I had 'whatever' on my back as well.  As we wouldn't let the couple near us, they walked away, but kept glancing over their shoulder.  We caught a taxi and went back to the B&B.  Our host was mortified when he saw the mess on our clothes and explained that was a scam where they would distract you and then steal your wallet while pretending to wipe you down.  Peter was their target as he got the brunt of the goo.  I was just collateral damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment