Friday, March 25, 2011

I am winning....

My intensive French course is now over, sad to say. It was great fun. Peter took me out to dinner on the last night and said, "Don't be sad. You can't expect to speak French by taking 5 weeks of a 30 week course. And it is difficult to learn a new language at our age."

Then yesterday, we had a meeting at the bank, as we have a few problems with our account. The women we spoke to had very little English, so she explained how to fix our problem in French. I could see Peter wasn't 'getting it', BUT I UNDERSTOOD THE PROBLEM!! So I confirmed back to her in French, then wrote out (in French) the steps we had to take to fix the problem. She said (in French) 'You understand correctly.' When we left the bank, Peter turned to me and said he was 'amazed' and in 'great admiration' of what he had just witnessed. He said he couldn't believe what I had learned in 5 weeks. And then he asked if I wanted to go back to school!!!

So I will be taking a few more weeks of 'intensive French' later in the year.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Aunt Judy! It was always easier for me to read and comprehend conversations better than speaking it myself. Now I have no hope-it's been over 6 years since I've been to a class! Keep it up, because if you don't use it, you definitely lose it.

    ReplyDelete